Tweet At the National Restaurant Association show in Chicago earlier this month, Greg Grossman, a promising new chef, impressed show participants with his cooking demos. He has open invitations to work in the kitchens of some of America’s top chefs, including Grant Achatz and Eric Ripert. He also has a book and a TV show [...]
Archive | May, 2009
Tweet The level of liability restaurant managers and owners face in alcohol related incidents can be shockingly high. Protecting yourself, your staff, and your customers from dangerous alcohol related situations should be a top priority for your business. And the best way to protect yourself is to make sure your staff is properly trained for [...]
Tweet As I noted in a blog post earlier this year, restaurants, especially high end ones, get hit hard in a recession. Eating out is a luxury, not a necessity, to most people, and it therefore becomes one of the first to go when people start watching their pocketbooks. Luckily, when those same pocketbooks start [...]
Tweet Electric thermostats are found on equipment that is of course electric, like electric ovens, ranges, fryers, etc. Electric thermostats can also be used on gas equipment like griddles and fryers. All electric thermostats do exactly the same thing: “sense temperature.” They have a capillary tube with a bulb on the end. The bulb is [...]
Tweet After about a century, the Cuban sandwich is finally getting its due respect. The sandwich was first developed in Florida for the purpose of feeding hungry cigar factory workers, and the cigars are probably more responsible for the sandwich’s namesake than any connection with the long isolated island nation. What is a Cuban? It’s [...]
Tweet The liquor laws in Utah have always been bizarre. From requiring membership in “private clubs” to drink local microbrews to no Sunday beer and liquor sales to limiting beer to 3.2% alcohol content, the requirements placed on restaurants, bars, and liquor stores have always been more stringent than in other states. But the barriers [...]
Tweet iPhone apps are all the rage right now, and already there is an app for just about anything you can think of under the sun. This includes the restaurant industry, and these 10 apps are affecting how consumers make their decisions on where and when to go out to eat, which directly affects your [...]
Tweet You’ve heard about organic ingredients. You’ve also heard about food miles and skyrocketing food costs. Anybody in the restaurant business can tell you these issues have affected their customer’s tastes and their bottom line. Stir in increasingly frugal customers and you’ve got a recipe for trouble in any restaurant. That devilish combination of customers [...]
Tweet It’s hard to believe, but there are fads in pork, just like anything else. 100 years ago, a Hungarian breed of pig called Mangalitsa was the preferred pork breed for restaurants across Europe and the eastern U.S. Over the last century their popularity declined for a variety a reasons. The Mangalitsa also fell out [...]
Tweet More and more restaurants, especially fast casual, coffee shop, and quick service chains, are becoming WiFi internet hotspots, allowing customers to plug in to an internet network directly from their laptop computer at their table. Turning your restaurant into a hotspot is relatively easy and has proven to help boost lunch sales by as much [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Can’t Eat Here: Is Your Restaurant Sending the Right Message to Guests With Dietary Restrictions? May 22, 2013
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter