Tweet The National Restaurant Association is currently conducting its annual survey of expenses, revenue, and profits in the restaurant industry. The NRA uses this information to compile a national and state-by-state report on industry performance. The information is also used by accountants, other restaurants, and analysts in food service to make informed decisions to boost [...]
Archive | June, 2009
Tweet It’s such a buzzword these days it has almost become cliche, but nevertheless green restaurants are an important and lasting trend. Customers are the main force driving this, and consistently they say they value restaurants with green practices. Giving customers what they want while reducing your operating costs through more efficient (“green”) practices seems [...]
Tweet After eating a fish salad at a Chicago restaurant in which he claims the salmon was undercooked, a man developed a nine-foot-long tapeworm. The restaurant denies they are responsible for the man’s unwelcome gastronomic guest. The man is, of course, suing. In general, however, scientists are concerned with a growing trend across the world: [...]
Tweet Customers love ordering good fish when they go out to eat. Species with powerful name recognition like orange roughy, grouper, and salmon are great sellers on the menu and can be found in restaurants across the country. But are consumers getting exactly what they pay for? Some fish species, especially those with a light [...]
Tweet Promoting your restaurant is a never-ending task. As a restaurateur, you understand just how important marketing is to your success. You probably also don’t have the resources to carry out a massive campaign (like Coke or Budweiser), and every dollar you spend needs to come back as a paying customer. Even in trying times [...]
Tweet In tough times, people always rely on familiar, basic foods to get them through. Trends in the restaurant industry so far in 2009 have borne out this truism. For Native Americans, the equivalent of chicken soup and hamburgers is Indian fry bread, a staple in their diets for 150 years, dating back to the [...]
Tweet Summer heat has a way of putting your customers in the mood for cool, refreshing drinks. You already have the standards covered: cold beer, ice tea, and maybe even margaritas or daiquiris. But are you really satisfying your customer’s demand for great cold drinks? Mixology is the study and development of cocktails, and it [...]
Tweet The Restaurant of the Future is in Holland, but at first glance it doesn’t seem like anything special. It just looks like a cafeteria, with a salad bar and long tables. But there are things going on in The Restaurant of the Future that make this nondescript cafeteria very different. For one thing, surveillance [...]
Tweet To most Americans, goat meat sounds like a foreign and unsavory dish consumed in far-off places by people who don’t have many other options. In reality, goat is the most commonly consumed type of meat the world over, and not just in the Third World. America is one of the few holdouts where goat [...]
Tweet National chains like The Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, and T.G.I. Friday’s have rolled out smaller, leaner, competitively priced menu items that are having considerable success targeting two primary consumer concerns: watching their weight and watching their wallets. For years the trend in the food service industry was towards bigger and bigger portion sizes. The “bigger [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Ah, Beer. The Rise of Craft Beer in America May 24, 2013
- Can’t Eat Here: Is Your Restaurant Sending the Right Message to Guests With Dietary Restrictions? May 22, 2013
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter