Tweet Back in 2006, despite objections from industry groups like the National Restaurant Association (NRA), New York City banned the use of trans fats in all foods served in the city’s restaurants. At the time, the NRA said that municipal government had no place regulating restaurants, and the ban would put an undue burden on [...]
Archive | July, 2009
Tweet In the marketing industry, email remains one of the most popular and most effective ways to reach customers. In the restaurant industry, email marketing can be a great way to build customer loyalty and brand recognition. It’s cheap, it’s easy, and it’s proven to bring customers in the door. So why aren’t more restaurants [...]
Tweet We’ve been hearing more and more about the local sourcing of ingredients in the food service industry. By far the most common form local sourcing takes is a small independent restaurant working out a deal for locally grown vegetables and herbs, or maybe even some locally raised meat. Of course, restaurants in large urban [...]
Tweet I’ve been talking about how restaurants can benefit from Twitter and not following my own advice for long enough now. The Back Burner now has a Twitter account that will update every day with Back Burner posts and other little gems of information. Yes, I’m now on the bandwagon. If you are on Twitter, [...]
Tweet It’s such a buzzword these days it has almost become cliche, but nevertheless green restaurants are an important and lasting trend. Customers are the main force driving this, and consistently they say they value restaurants with green practices. Giving customers what they want while reducing your operating costs through more efficient (“green”) practices seems [...]
Tweet A bit of good news, at least from the perspective of the National Restaurant Association (NRA), was released last week: Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), has agreed to drop the card check portion of the Employee Free Choice Act. The card check provision would have allowed workers in businesses with 20 or more employees to [...]
Tweet Healthy this. Healthy that. We want nutrition information. We want healthy menu choices. The drumbeat coming from consumers and consumer groups over the last five years has steadily increased, demanding healthier options from restaurants in all segments of the food service industry. Heavyweights like McDonald’s have bent under the pressure, and everyone across the [...]
Tweet The Enoteca Maria restaurant of Staten Island, NY serves truly authentic Italian style home cooking every evening. They can make such a bold claim because anyone who ventures into the kitchen in this small 35-seat restaurant will find an actual Italian Grandma bent over the stove conjuring up classic recipes that have been passed [...]
Tweet The dipper well is a small countertop sink that uses a constant flow of water to clean utensils like ice cream scoops and barista thermometers. The sink fills up to a certain level and then drains away, so a dipper well acts like a constantly filling pool. The in and out flow of water [...]
Tweet Big operators like Chili’s, Applebees, The Cheesecake Factory, and others are always looking for ways to improve taste and customer experience while increasing efficiency. These companies spend a lot of money every year in research and development, and studying the trends that come out of the big chain restaurant’s R&D can be very informative. [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Can’t Eat Here: Is Your Restaurant Sending the Right Message to Guests With Dietary Restrictions? May 22, 2013
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter