Tweet What if you were told about a restaurant that had no fixed location or menu and kept this information a secret until just a few hours before you leave for dinner? The Dissident Chef of San Francisco does just this to his patrons on a regular basis. They purchase tickets without any idea what [...]
Archive | August, 2009
Tweet Keeping your commercial kitchen humming along is not always an easy proposition. You use this equipment every day, and sooner or later something is going to give out on you. If the next step you’re used to taking is picking up the phone to call your service tech, these Back Burner posts are for [...]
Tweet If you’re in the market for new restaurant equipment, you know that you’re about to spend a good chunk of change. You also know the choice you make is one you’ll have to live with for years to come. That’s why it’s vital to make an informed decision that’s just right for your restaurant [...]
Tweet In a recent study by Technomic, 36% of consumers said they are doing their socializing at home more often than a year ago. In addition, 40% said they’d like to entertain at home more often in the next year. For a restaurant owner, those are some sobering numbers. The corresponding 4% decline in restaurants [...]
Tweet Credit cards have become the currency of choice in restaurants everywhere. Many restaurateurs report 80% – 85% of their customers pull out plastic when it’s time to pay the bill. For a long time now the conventional wisdom in food service goes like this: any way the customer wants to pay me I’ll take. [...]
Tweet The Inamo restaurant in London’s Soho district has taken high-tech ordering to a whole new level. Gone are the days when picking up a phone at your table was the techiest gig in town. Sure, some restaurants call themselves high-tech because their servers have wireless pads for taking orders. Inamo takes it even further: [...]
Tweet One of the most important responsibilities of any restaurateur is the proper implementation of a food safety program. A lapse in food safety can spell the doom of your restaurant, and if you’re just opening a new restaurant, it can mean a delayed opening night. Good food safety isn’t something you achieve once and then forget about. [...]
Tweet A website called Fancy Fast Food has taken all the mass produced food that makes Americans fat but that we love to eat and turned it into top quality fine cuisine, complete with garnish. The results are actually very stunning, even after viewing the before picture. Some examples include: Nathan’s Not-So-Famous Faux Foie Gras [...]
Tweet As Congress grapples with the costs of tackling health care reform, a couple ideas have floated to the surface to help fund the effort. As I mentioned recently, a national tax on soft drinks was the subject of a national feasibility study and it was determined that such a tax could raise a significant [...]
Tweet The co-owner of a chain of Asian restaurants in the Seattle area was recently indicted on immigration fraud charges. Varee Bradford apparently paid employees of the Thai Ginger restaurants she owns with her husband to marry her relatives so they could immigrate from Thailand. Bradford has been charged with arranging four sham marriages over [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Mother’s Day Word Search May 12, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter