Tweet If you’re in the food service industry in either California or Vermont, then this blog post is for you. New legislation in these two states changes the kind of faucets and pipe fittings that can be installed in restaurants and commercial kitchens starting early next year. California Assembly Bill 1953 and Vermont Senate Bill [...]
Archive | September, 2009
Tweet Hibiscus, the beautiful tropical flower, is now making its way into cocktails, teas, and desserts in some of the trendiest urban restaurants. The taste is described as both fruity and floral, with a tartness not unlike lemon. From the perspective of presentation, hibiscus flavored drinks and desserts turn an appealing ruby red color. Some [...]
Tweet According to a new study by the Council of Hotel And Restaurant Trainers (CHART), 53% of the restaurants surveyed had cut back on their employee training budgets. Only 19% increased their budget, with the rest remaining the same. The study covered a wide variety of restaurants, from small independents to large national chains, with [...]
Tweet Despite the bad news that fewer people are ordering salads all of the time, the fact remains that, on the whole, people still order salads regularly. In fact, the same poll of 500 diners revealed that 77 percent said they ordered a salad at least sometimes. An additional 16 percent said they rarely ordered [...]
Tweet Ask anyone sitting on their couch around dinnertime if they want a healthy pizza, and you’ll probably get a lukewarm response. Not that people don’t want to eat healthier. Study after study has shown that consumers, when asked when they aren’t actively ordering food at a restaurant, want healthy menu options. But as I [...]
Tweet Want to know what makes a restaurant succeed where others fail? Is it because your food is the best around? Do you offer customers an incredible value for their buck they just can’t get anywhere else? Or is your staff so professional, so incredibly well trained, that customers just can’t get enough of your [...]
Tweet Mixology is a hot trend in food service. More and more bars and restaurants are investing in exotic flavors and unique blends to make cocktails that draw customers in and tantalize their taste buds. There are even professional “mixologists” who dedicate their time to the art developing the next trendy cocktail. The Red Kiva [...]
Tweet For all the buzz around using social media like Twitter and Facebook as marketing tools for restaurants, a recent study by Chalkboard.com indicates the majority of restaurants aren’t catching on. Establishments in three major urban centers, New York, San Francisco, and Portland, OR were surveyed about their internet and social media marketing strategies. The [...]
Tweet Ok, so this hit my desk in the early AM on 9/9/09… “Restaurant.com Stretches the Dollar with 90% off Gift Certificates” A limited time promotion they are running using the date of 9/9/09 as an excuse. I don’t care what day it is on the calendar this is a terrible promotion. Well, let me [...]
Tweet There’s a new movement afoot in the urban centers of this country. It started sometime last year and is still in its infancy, but given enough time, it could become the next MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter of the social media revolution. It’s called “hyperlocal” social media. One of the pioneers of the movement, Everyblock, [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Ah, Beer. The Rise of Craft Beer in America May 24, 2013
- Can’t Eat Here: Is Your Restaurant Sending the Right Message to Guests With Dietary Restrictions? May 22, 2013
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter