Tweet Chef Alex Atala, son of Lebanese immigrants and raised in Brazil, is himself a blending of cultures separated by huge geographical distances and divergent attitudes. Perhaps this is why he is perfectly suited to bring the flavors of Brazil to global prominence. Chef Atala achieved recognition by creating a hybrid cuisine from two very [...]
Archive | October, 2010
Tweet Some chain restaurants have started using comprehensive, fully automated energy management systems (EMS) to help reduce energy usage in their restaurants. Restaurant energy management systems have been around for a couple decades, but recent technological advances have really improved what an EMS can do. An EMS system can control air conditioning, hood exhaust fans, [...]
Tweet Added value – in a world of discounts, something besides price has to get your customers in the door. It’s the new reality facing the food service industry these days, and many restaurants have already started devising ways to go the extra mile for customers. Soon enough restaurants will be required to post nutrition [...]
Tweet French food has always been the gold standard in fine dining. Over the years the fusion of French cuisine with flavors from around the world has bred a culture of ingenuity and dynamism that helped perpetuate French style cooking as the center for culinary excellence. But recently some trends have started pointing in other [...]
Tweet A bar spotter, or “nightclub secret shopper,” is a person sent into a bar by the owner or manager to conduct a secret quality control review of bar staff. Spotters carefully observe bartenders and other employees, watching for telltale signs of theft and misconduct. Most spotters were once bartenders themselves, and understand the industry [...]
Tweet Everybody in the food service industry is talking about locally sourced food these days. The National Restaurant Association has called local,organic and sustainable ingredients one of the biggest trends of 2010, and consumers have defied logic by proving they are willing to pay more for better quality. The Mexican-themed chain Chipotle has carved a [...]
Tweet So have you jumped on the Twitter bandwagon yet? Or are you sick and tired of hearing about tweets, tweeting, and all other variations of bird noises? Are you wondering what the heck I’m talking about? For those of you who answered “yes” to the last question, you’ve got some catching up to do. [...]
Tweet In this article, I’m going to share with you the top reasons why every restaurant should be using text messaging. I think that you will find these strategies useful and that they’ll save you thousands of dollars when you start using SMS Text Messaging. With the Holidays around the corner, this is the best [...]
Tweet The days of visiting your local grocery store once a week to stock up on food supplies is starting to give way to more frequent, even daily visits, and customers are buying a lot more than a gallon of milk. What started as a simple salad bar and deli in supermarkets in the ‘80s [...]
Tweet A bill was introduced to the House of Representatives recently that proposes to increase the percentage of a business related meal that can be deducted from 50% to 80%. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI), has twice been introduced in past sessions of Congress and has twice failed to become law. Opponents [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Can’t Eat Here: Is Your Restaurant Sending the Right Message to Guests With Dietary Restrictions? May 22, 2013
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter