Test your Mexican culinary IQ! We’ll start with an easy question so you can get warmed up. (When you’re done, check out our Mexican specialty shop!)
1. Menudo is …
a. A traditional Mexican soup made with cow stomach
b. A Puerto Rican boy band from the 1970s
2. Pozole is commonly made with …
3. Which immigrant population influenced the Mexican dish al pastor?
Match the state with its famous culinary contribution:
7. Carne asada is made from what type of meat?
8. As recently as the 1970s, tortillas were sold in what packaging?
a. Corn husks
b. Banana leaves
c. Aluminum cans
9. What is a torta?
a. A Mexican sandwich
b. A Mexican pastry
c. A Mexican dance move
10. Which country had a major influence on Mexican cuisine in the early 1800s?
b. United States
11. What Mexican spice is commonly used to season beans?
12. What is the main ingredient for papadzules sauce?
a. Achiote seeds
b. Squash seeds
c. Chia seeds
13. America’s first Mexican-food celebrity was …
a. Lee Trevino
b. Rick Bayless
c. Buffalo Bill Cody
14. Mole was first created by …
a. Hungry nuns
b. Confused conquistadors
c. Intrepid Zapotecs
15. Tequila was first distilled in which Mexican state?
16. Which U.S. president once bit into an unwrapped tamale?
a. Lyndon Johnson
b. Richard Nixon
c. Gerald Ford
17. In the 16th century, Spanish friar Bartolomé de las Casas wrote that without _________, the indigenous people of Mexico did not think they were eating.
c. Chili peppers
Answers: 1.(c) 2.(b) 3.(b) 4.(c) 5.(b) 6.(a) 7.(a) 8.(c) 9.(a) 10.(a) 11.(a) 12.(b) 13.(c) 14.(a) 15.(b) 16.(c) 17.(c)