Tweet Replacing the commercial faucet on sinks in your restaurant doesn’t have to be a difficult job. Following a couple simple steps will help you replace old or worn faucets in your kitchen very easily. For starters, there are two types of faucets: 1. Deck Mount – These faucets attach directly to the top (or deck) [...]
Archive | Tundra’s Tech Talk RSS feed for this section
Tweet The most used and abused piece of kitchen equipment is the range. Luckily it’s probably also the easiest to repair. There are five range components that need to be replaced the most frequently: If you are having problems with the oven portion of your range, check out these tips on repairing the oven. There [...]
Tweet Oven problems are fairly simple to diagnose. The most common complaints are: Problem number one is probably the most common. Usually it’s the thermocouple that causes this problem. When lighting the pilot, if the thermocouple is not directly in the flame it can not get hot enough to allow it to open the safety [...]
Tweet There are five types of elements in electric food service equipment: 1. Calrod (metal) type 2. Glass tube (quartz) type 3. Ceramic type 4. Wire type 5. Solid type These five elements are either submersible, dry, or both. No matter what type of element you’re trying to replace, the most important piece of information you need is the element’s [...]
Tweet Summary – Countertop warmers keep pre-cooked foods warm. In this Tech Talk, learn how to replace all 4 components that could fail in your countertop warmer. Critical Note – Never run the warmer without water! For best results, use the model and serial number on your warmer to identify the right part or call 1-888-388-6372 [...]
Tweet There are two types of temperature controls used in commercial refrigeration: 1. Thermostatic: either an Air Sensing type or Evaporator Coil Sensing type 2. Low pressure control Let’s start with thermostatic type controls. An air-sensing thermostat does just that: it senses air temperature. The control sensor tube is usually mounted in the evaporator housing. The evaporator [...]
Tweet There are many different types of safety valves. The most common safety valve types are: 1. The FMDA safety valve is the only type with the thermocouple permanently attached to it. This means the thermocouple cannot be replaced; the entire safety valve must be replaced if the thermocouple fails. The easiest way to identify an [...]
Tweet Overhead warmers are fairly simple devices. They are typically used to keep food that is ready to be served warm before it goes out on the server’s tray. Overhead warmers have three main parts: 1. Element 2. On/off switch 3. Infinite Control Read on below for instructions on how to test and replace these three parts, or go [...]
Tweet Electric thermostats are found on equipment that is of course electric, like electric ovens, ranges, fryers, etc. Electric thermostats can also be used on gas equipment like griddles and fryers. All electric thermostats do exactly the same thing: “sense temperature.” They have a capillary tube with a bulb on the end. The bulb is [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Mother’s Day Word Search May 12, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter