If you’re looking to implement a HACCP food safety program, this series of Back Burner posts will help you get started. If you’re looking for ways to improve your existing food safety program, this is also a great place to start. Food safety is a critical part of your food service business, and over the years, HACCP has proven itself to be one of the most effective ways to ensure your customers eat good food in your restaurant every single time.
This guide will walk you through the 7 HACCP principles one by one and will also cover supplemental information like Prerequisite Programs. Get started on your HACCP program today:
1. HACCP Principle 1 – An introduction and understanding the hazards and risk factors present in your restaurant.
2. HACCP Principle 2 – The Difference Between CCP & SOP – Some things in your food safety program will be covered by your HACCP, while other things need to be established as Standard Operating Procedure. Learn how to organize food safety tasks here.
3. HACCP Principle 3 – Set Critical Limits – A critical limit is the minimum or maximum temperature food product must reach to stay out of the temperature danger zone where bacteria and pathogens can grow.
4. HACCP Principle 4- Establish Monitoring Procedures – Critical limits don’t do you a bit of good if you don’t monitor your operation and determine they are actually being met in practice, not just in theory.
5. HACCP Principle 5- Develop Corrective Actions – Critical limits are worthless without monitoring, and monitoring is worthless without a plan to take corrective action when monitoring finds problems in your HACCP program.
6. HACCP Principle 6 – Ongoing Verification – The secret to a successful HACCP program is developing multiple layers of quality control that ensure the standards you set in Principle 3 are met on a consistent basis. Ongoing verification is another layer in the monitoring process.
7. HACCP Principle 7- Keep Good Records – All that monitoring won’t help you if someone accuses your business of sickening them and you don’t have records of what you’ve been doing with your HACCP program. Good records also help you every time the healt inspector arrives, so make sure you record the information you collect while monitoring your HACCP program.
8. Prerequisite Programs- The essential partner to any HACCP food safety program is the Standard Operating Procedures that promote a clean and sanitary kitchen, like handwashing. Get some prerequisite tips here.
Check out more articles on Tundra’s Resource Center for Food Safety
Shop Restaurant Supplies