Mixology is a hot trend in food service. More and more bars and restaurants are investing in exotic flavors and unique blends to make cocktails that draw customers in and tantalize their taste buds. There are even professional “mixologists” who dedicate their time to the art developing the next trendy cocktail. The Red Kiva Lounge [...]
For all the buzz around using social media like Twitter and Facebook as marketing tools for restaurants, a recent study by Chalkboard.com indicates the majority of restaurants aren’t catching on. Establishments in three major urban centers, New York, San Francisco, and Portland, OR were surveyed about their internet and social media marketing strategies. The results [...]
Ok, so this hit my desk in the early AM on 9/9/09… “Restaurant.com Stretches the Dollar with 90% off Gift Certificates” A limited time promotion they are running using the date of 9/9/09 as an excuse. I don’t care what day it is on the calendar this is a terrible promotion. Well, let me clarify [...]
There’s a new movement afoot in the urban centers of this country. It started sometime last year and is still in its infancy, but given enough time, it could become the next MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter of the social media revolution. It’s called “hyperlocal” social media. One of the pioneers of the movement, Everyblock, provides [...]
As I have noted on The Back Burner before, more and more restaurants are sourcing their food locally. And restaurants in urban areas are even turning vacant lots, empty roofs, and bare terraces into herb and vegetable gardens, yielding fresh produce for their customers. The trend has taken off quickly, and, at least in Culver [...]
More and more restaurants are exploring ways to make their operations “sustainable.” Yes, it’s a buzzword, and yes, it’s a trend most commonly associated with San Francisco restaurants and other yuppie hideouts. That doesn’t mean most of the restaurants out there can’t utilize sustainability in their operations. Trends show that consumers are increasingly educated about [...]
Feel like you need to get caught up on what’s been going on in the food service industry? Here’s some hot industry trends that will help you get up to speed: 1. A National Tax On Soft Drinks? The advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest is promoting a tax on soft drinks [...]
What if you were told about a restaurant that had no fixed location or menu and kept this information a secret until just a few hours before you leave for dinner? The Dissident Chef of San Francisco does just this to his patrons on a regular basis. They purchase tickets without any idea what or [...]
Keeping your commercial kitchen humming along is not always an easy proposition. You use this equipment every day, and sooner or later something is going to give out on you. If the next step you’re used to taking is picking up the phone to call your service tech, these Back Burner posts are for you. [...]
If you’re in the market for new restaurant equipment, you know that you’re about to spend a good chunk of change. You also know the choice you make is one you’ll have to live with for years to come. That’s why it’s vital to make an informed decision that’s just right for your restaurant and [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Mother’s Day Word Search May 12, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter