Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Cozy up on a chilly evening with a bowl of soup that’s simple to make and tastes delicious! The best thing about a broccoli cheese soup is that you can easily customize it to your liking. Young varieties of Gruyère impart a nutty, almost creamy texture while Gruyère that’s aged longer will have a more assertive, earthy flavor.
The easiest way to blend this soup is within the pot itself. Immersion blenders (like this one from Hamilton Beach) means less work transferring ingredients and faster cleanup times.
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ cup milk
- ½ chicken stock
- ½ cup low fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Gruyère cheese
- ¼ an onion, diced
- 1 head of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 T butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (Did you know garlic has great antiviral properties?)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pot or Dutch Oven (we like this red enameled 6-quart cast iron dutch oven from Lodge), cook the onion and garlic over medium heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until browned.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pot to scrape up the browned bits. (We call that flavor!)
- Add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the garlic and cook until just tender.
- Reduce heat and add the butter, cheddar and gruyere cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your Hamilton Beach immersion blender to puree the soup within the pot, or pour the entire mixture into a countertop blender and mix until you reach your desired consistency.