The United States has faced devastating disasters in the last 10 years that have not only affected families, but businesses too.
- In 2005, Hurricane Katrina, one of the deadliest hurricanes in recent history, hit the Gulf Coast. In a 90,000 square mile area, thousands of local residents were left unemployed and homeless while the death toll rose to more than 1,800 people and the total cost of damage was estimated at $125 billion.
- Midsummer of 2012 ignited another catastrophic disaster – the Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado. This fire was named the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history: killing 2 people, burning 346 homes, forcing an evacuation of 32,000 people and smoldering 18,247 acres.
- Most recently, Hurricane Sandy aka ‘Frankenstorm’ ripped across the east coast. The death toll has risen to approximately 109 people while 17,500,000 people were affected and an estimated $60 billion in damages (see this compelling Katrina vs. Sandy comparison by the Huffington Post).
Now more than ever, restaurant owners are learning what it means to prepare for a natural disaster – like those aforementioned, as well as the numerous earthquakes, floods, tornadoes and other catastrophic weather patterns that have devastated our nation. Precautionary steps need to be made for before, during and after an event: building and food care, evacuation plans, support needs, etc. Unfortunately, the lack of available resources to learn more about what this means is few and far between.
Share Your Story
- What is it like to live through a natural disaster?
- What did you do to protect your business?
- What didn’t you do that you wish you would have done to prevent damage?
We would love the opportunity to hear your story, and in return, your story could be published in our next flyer publication! We send our quarterly flyer to 250K independent restaurant owners nationwide and, of course, you would get the opportunity view the article before it goes to print.
If you are interested please share your restaurant’s mayhem story; we can’t wait to hear your story!