You’ve probably seen the NSF and UL labels in your restaurant or commercial kitchen before. And you probably already have an idea what these organizations do and what that label means. But fully understanding what the NSF and UL do to make sure restaurant equipment and tools meet food and personal safety standards is worth [...]
Tag Archives | Food Safety
Maintaining proper food temperature should be a constant process in your restaurant or commercial kitchen, from the time it arrives through your back door to the time it arrives on the customer’s plate. When the delivery truck arrives, immediately check food products for temperature. Reject food that arrives above 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Once you have [...]
This is the first in a series of posts intended to give you a complete guide to HACCP principles. Every week I will post step by step information on each of the 7 HACCP principles. It is recommended that you also consult closely with your local board of health when implementing a HACCP program. This [...]
Health inspections are a regular part of life in any food service business, but too often it’s easy for a restaurant or commercial kitchen to fall into the trap of just passing the inspection rather than regularly practicing good food safety procedures. This series is intended to help your business improve food safety practices, because [...]
Getting quality kitchen floor matting isn’t only a staff comfort issue; it’s an important safety issue as well. Kitchen floor matting is made from a rubberized material and can be placed anywhere in your kitchen where staff stands while working, including on the line, in front of the dishwasher, behind the bar, and in front [...]
Is your restaurant participating? From the NFSEM site: “The National Restaurant Association encourages restaurant and foodservice operators to begin planning for the 15th annual National Food Safety Education Month. This month-long campaign is held every September and focuses on the importance of food safety education for the restaurant and foodservice industry, while raising the awareness [...]
So now you have CCPs, Critical Limits, and monitoring procedures for your budding HACCP program. You know what you are going to control, where you are going to control it, and how to know your Critical Limits are being met. So what happens if a Critical Limit is not met? A story I heard from [...]
The Food and Drug Administration has officially released an updated Food Code for the first time since 2005. The Food Code details procedures for implementing a food safety program in any food service environment, from grocery stores to fine dining restaurants. The agency updates the code every four years to accommodate new developments and address [...]
The Center For Science In The Public Interest, an advocacy group that has tangled with the food service industry before over menu nutrition labeling, is pushing for letter grades of restaurant’s latest health inspections to be posted in the front window. The grade works on a 100-point scale and corresponds with a restaurant’s score: 90-100 [...]
McDonald’s hasn’t grown into a multinational restaurant chain without doing a lot of things right. And whatever you think of their culinary achievements (or lack thereof), you can’t deny that they’ve built an empire in food service. If one lesson is clear from the rise of McDonald’s, it should be that you don’t build an [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Suspended Coffee – Dream Big. Start Small. June 17, 2013
- Amy’s Baking Company: What a Disaster June 14, 2013
- Cleaning Underneath Restaurant Kitchen Equipment is Easy With Stoveshoes June 10, 2013
- 7 Tips for Printing Restaurant Menus June 7, 2013
- Frozen Drink Dispenser Recipes from Bunn June 3, 2013
- Robert Duran: Greg , The information you provided on the combin...
- mike: I just purchased new 2 tri-star fryers with propan...
- william eng: I have a Pitco 45C that is about 4 years old and r...
- william eng: Hi Miles, did you find a solution to the little f...
- william eng: Did you find a solution to your problem? I have a...
Food Service Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter