As a restaurateur, you probably struggle with inventory on a regular basis. Balancing walk-in space, fast-selling menu items, and slow moving items can create a constant headache. Some of your product moves quickly, some does not, and inevitably some ends up sitting in the walk-in for far too long. That sitting product is costing your [...]
Tag Archives | Food Service
Here’s one of the most complete guides to restaurant lingo, terms and slang – including some that our readers left in the comment section below. Click these links to jump to a letter to look up a term: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q [...]
Every CCP you identified by grouping menu items into processes now must have a critical limit set for it in order to become an official part of your HACCP program. The FDA’s Food Code and your local Board of Health have established time and temperature specifications for every type of food you serve in your [...]
After three months and 124 posts, The Back Burner is fast becoming a wealth of information for anyone involved in the restaurant industry. The downside of putting up so much content, however, is that some really good posts kind of get lost in the mix and are quickly buried in the archives. That’s why we’re [...]
The Pareto Principle has long been hailed as the Holy Grail of marketing, the one rule by which all marketing efforts succeed or fail. The principle itself is pretty simple: 20% of your customers drive 80% of your sales. There’s always a core group of loyal customers who not only spend money in your restaurant, [...]
Any server will tell you the hardest thing to sell is dessert. The meal has come to an end, customers are ready to go or just enjoy a cup of coffee, and more often than not the dessert menu is met with some pretty stiff resistance. Add in a climate of tightening belts and reduced [...]
Health inspections are a regular part of life in any food service business, but too often it’s easy for a restaurant or commercial kitchen to fall into the trap of just passing the inspection rather than regularly practicing good food safety procedures. This series is intended to help your business improve food safety practices, because [...]
The host stand is the first thing your customers see when they enter your restaurant. That first impression can be an opportunity or a potential stumbling block, and no matter which way you impress your customers, the host sets the tone. It’s like any new relationship: every word and action takes on an importance unique [...]
When Oskar Blues opened its doors in 1997 in the tiny burg of Lyons, CO, just north of Boulder, it was just a place to get some great Southern style food and listen to the best offerings from the local music scene. That all began to change when Oskar founder Dale Katechis began brewing beer [...]
Food Safety is More Than Passing a Health Inspection Health inspections are a regular part of life in any food service business, but too often it’s easy for a restaurant or commercial kitchen to fall into the trap of just passing the inspection rather than regularly practicing good food safety procedures. This series is intended [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Suspended Coffee – Dream Big. Start Small. June 17, 2013
- Amy’s Baking Company: What a Disaster June 14, 2013
- Cleaning Underneath Restaurant Kitchen Equipment is Easy With Stoveshoes June 10, 2013
- 7 Tips for Printing Restaurant Menus June 7, 2013
- Frozen Drink Dispenser Recipes from Bunn June 3, 2013
- Robert Duran: Greg , The information you provided on the combin...
- mike: I just purchased new 2 tri-star fryers with propan...
- william eng: I have a Pitco 45C that is about 4 years old and r...
- william eng: Hi Miles, did you find a solution to the little f...
- william eng: Did you find a solution to your problem? I have a...
Food Service Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter