Tweet About this time every year the food service industry starts buzzing about the trends that will shape consumer preferences and affect business in the next 12 months. We are lucky enough (or unlucky, depending on how you view it) to be in the midst of a transition period for many restaurants, and that makes [...]
Tag Archives | restaurant news
Tweet Like it or not, small business owners like many in the food service industry are experiencing a period of drastic change labor laws. As health care reform becomes a reality, several other projects championed by Democratic lawmakers will start nudging their way back to the top of the agenda – including the much maligned [...]
Tweet Fine dining restaurants have been the hardest hit segment of the foodservice industry since the country slid into recession two years ago. Many establishments have closed and other have turned to deep discounting to stay alive during a time when consumers just aren’t willing to spend a lot of money to go out to [...]
Tweet Late last month it was announced that scientists in Holland have successfully grown pork meat in a petri dish. The meat was developed from special cells called myoblasts that are specifically programmed to repair muscles in a live animal. If they are left in a super rich broth of nutrients, as the experiment in [...]
Tweet There has been much ongoing debate over the effect of public smoking bans on restaurant business. As more and more states move to ban smoking in almost all public buildings, a counterculture has been pushing back by openly flouting the bans in their communities. This counterculture is especially strong along the Illinois-Indiana border since [...]
Tweet Ivar’s Seafood Restaurant in Seattle, Washington pulled off a brilliant piece of restaurant marketing recently, resulting in a 400% increase in clam chowder sales. The story was originally reported in the Seattle Times. How did they do it? Well, it’s a funny story actually. Ivar’s dreamed up this scheme to get a kooky story [...]
Tweet The 24/7 lifestyle has been creeping further and further into American cities over the course of this decade. People are out later more frequently, and many restaurants, especially in urban centers, are responding by catering to late night diners. If done right, the late night scene can energize your restaurant and your bottom line. [...]
Tweet We’ve all had one of those managers who’s just a little bit more hardcore than everybody else. Usually they’re pretty harmless, if not a little annoying. You just have to roll your eyes and get through the extra training seminar they scheduled. A St. Joseph, Missouri Sonic manager probably takes the cake when it [...]
Tweet Keeping up with the latest and hottest trends in food service could be a full time job in itself. Luckily for you, The Back Burner is here to keep track and distill things down into manageable chunks. This is a quick rundown of the trends we’ve been tracking over the past couple months, covering [...]
Tweet While many segments of the restaurant industry are struggling to stay afloat, pizza concepts in large part seem to be well positioned to weather the current economy. There seem to be at least three distinct reasons for this – sales don’t appear to be slumping as much for pizza outlets as in other segments, [...]
- Fixing Commercial Fryers April 23, 2012
- A Glossary of Restaurant Lingo, Slang & Terms March 19, 2012
- Fixing Commercial Oven Problems July 3, 2011
- Troubleshooting Gas Range and Oven Problems November 19, 2011
- Fixing Gas Ranges July 23, 2011
- Can’t Eat Here: Is Your Restaurant Sending the Right Message to Guests With Dietary Restrictions? May 22, 2013
- World Baking Day Word Search May 19, 2013
- Photo Contest: Win a Metalfrio Beverage Cooler May 17, 2013
- 50 Honey & Bee Facts May 15, 2013
- Should Social Media Be Used to Shame No-Shows? May 13, 2013
- Morgan Sky: I've been trying to remember a term we used for t...
- Tundra Restaurant Supply: Hello Robert, It sounds like you did order the wr...
- Molly Patterson: Wow, these are all great and new to me! Thanks for...
- Robert Duran: Hello Greg , I being reading your articles on tro...
- Anne J. M.: It depends on your electric company's charges by ...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Follow @etundra on Twitter